Friday, July 10, 2009

Southern Living, Part 1

My good friend, the Grouch, has started a series of blogs on Midway, and his adventures therein. I enjoy reading them and as I was cutting the yard a while ago, or whilago, as we say in the south, got to thinking about writing a blog on BEING A SOUTHERNER.
So, here we go.
I am a southerner by heritage and birth and choice, in that order. I was born in the south, my folks were born in the south, and their folks were all born in the south.
Being a white southerner is also akin to being a Redneck! I am one of them too! I like it!
Now, for my first, Life as a Southerner Blog, I'm gonna tell yall about cuttin grass.
This is something that I personally enjoy. I have a Troy built, Bronco, riding mower. It has 18.5 horsepower and is a wimpy thang by true Redneck lawn mowing devices. But it does exactly what I want it to do. Today, I cranked the mower, as it was warming up, went into the ham shack and got me a big, cold brew, aired up the right front tire,(gotta fix that someday) and finally got straddled of it.
I spent about an hour and a half, cutting the front yard and drinking my beer. Every time a car passed, I waved at the occupants and they waved back. Did I know any of them? No! Did I really want to know them? Probably not! (except for one sweet looking young thing, neber mind) Nevertheless, they were coming down the road, lookin at me sweatin on he mower, so I WAVED!
But waving, drinking beer and enjoying cutting grass is a southern thing. I have NEVER seen a yankee cutting grass while drinking a beer and I promise you AINT NEVER BEEN YANKEE WAVED AT, while he was cuttin grass. They all seem to hate it more than a finger wave from the grouch!
Cuttin grass gives me time to reflect, plan, plot as well as time to compose a blog while I am trying to cut all the fescue stalks to an even height!
Anyhow, I got thru cuttin the grass and am now enjoying another cold one while writing this blog.
I enjoyed the yard work! Will enjoy some more fore the weekend is over.
Am I crazy? Probably! Do I care? HELL NAW!
Stay tuned for the next installment, "Gitting Yo Ass BEAT!"

4 comments:

  1. Very thoughtful post, Lizzard. Now I don't like beer. Never have liked the taste of it. Whenever I tried to drink it, I did not like the way it made me feel. I always wanted to burp and pee. Gimme a mixed drank or some wine any day.

    I do not own a lawn mower. We have no yard here and what yard we usta have was paved over with asphalt. So I guess this is one southerner that will miss the pleasure of mowing, beer drinking, and waving.

    But you did gimme a great idear for another post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know ye don't like beer BT and I respect yo tastes. Leaves me more, anyhow!
    I am and always have been a believer in peoples rights, as you know. That's what I usually preach about, The Individual Rights of an American Citizen.
    Course, I guess this would be a dull and boring world if everybody thought like me or you.
    THINK ABOUT IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy crappe, lizzard - i believe you may be kin to my husband! he took off down the hill towards the draw one evening like a house afire - i hollered, "WHERE YOU OFF TO?" he responded, "don't you remember when george jones did this?" i had to go google it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hell nanc, dont ye know ALL SOUTHERN folks is kin, or at least kin to someone who is!

    ReplyDelete