Saturday, July 18, 2009

Southern living, Pt.3, Living in the Sticks

As some of you know, I was born in Greenwood Mississippi. The house we lived in when I was born and until I got out of the first grade was a simple little one bedroom shotgun house. It did have inside plumbing, electricity and so forth. Seemed good to me.
However, when I got out of school from the first grade, my daddy took a job in Rosedale, Ms, and we couldn't find a house to live in, so my momma and me went to live with my grandparents, in Coila, Ms., while Daddy roomed in Rosedale.
Now, as I have blogged, my grandparents were simple cotton farmers. No electricity, no indoor plumbing. There was a cistern (well) in the front of the house that ya dropped a bucket down into to get your water. Coal oil lamps sufficed after dark, the outhouse was about 75 feet out back. On Saturday afternoon, momma would pull up enough water to fill up a washtub on the front porch, the sun would warm it up and you'd get your bath for the week about 4 PM Saddy evenin! Now, horrible as it may sound, I didn't know any better. There was a roof over my head, I never missed a meal, I was never neglected nor abused, and I HAD A BALL!
I had no less than 8 cousins within a quarter mile, 3 of them were close to my age, and we played cowboy, soldier and so forth from morning til dark. Pete Floyd, one of my favorite cousins, was only a few months older than me and we were inseparable! Our favorite thing in the summer was to go down to the crick (creek for you that don't speak southern), and swim. Course the crick was only about 10" deep, but we'd waller out a hole in the sand and enjoy the heck out of it!
One of the things I remember from those days was on cold autumn nites, there was a panther that would run up the road screaming. It was a horrible sound. I would scrootch down in my feather mattress and try to literally wrap myself up in it. There were always 4 or 5 dogs around, but when that panther went a'screaming, they were ALL under the house moaning and whimpering. Wasn't a one of em that was up to chasing THAT cat! I sometimes wonder if any of that cat's ancestors are still around there.
Grandaddy would make molasses from sugar cane, I'd ride the old mule turning the sorghum mill and shoot all kinds of wild indians from his back. would milk a cow in the morning, churn butter, and bring in kindling and stovewood.
In the morning, my granny would ALWAYS bake a pan of biscuits, fry up some bacon and eggs. Course my favorite thing was buttering em with my hard churned butter.
Anyway, time went on, we found a house in Rosedale and left the grandparents. Spent a year and a half there before moving to southern Louisiana.
Stay tuned for pt 4, "My Life as a COONASS!"

5 comments:

  1. A very thoughtful post, Lizzard. By today's standards it sounds like your family got by with a rather meager existance. Some liberal today would be ringing his/her hands and want to put you on some gubment program.

    In spite of this, as you said, you really did not know any different and it sounds like you and your family were more or less happy and content. This has nothing to do with socioeconomic status but rather the attitude of the parents. Sounds like your Momma and your Daddy and your grandparents did what they had to do to provide and sounds like they raised you up right. That is what matters.

    What you hear today for the most part is a buncha whining and complaining. Woe is me. What can the gubment do for me?

    Congradgeashuns on a nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Grouch. No, I never realized that we were financially poor! By the standards of my friends and classmates, I was really well off. Had a roof over my head, shoes on my feet, clothes on my body, three meals a day, and two, count 'em, two parents who loved me.
    Hmmm, come to think about it, I was, and remain, quite rich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can I tell you about him in Rosedale, Went back there 20 years ago. Yes it had changed!!
    BUT, I still remember my FRIENDS!!Have a good day Rusty1

    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  4. lizzard - a very good friend of ours from mississippi passed into the yonder last week - they are from around sledge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey chmrles and nanc. Wakum to my bloggin, soapbox standing place. Who done died from Sledge?

    ReplyDelete