Friday, August 21, 2009

Southern Living, Pt.8 - Moving to Moorhead

Well, after a brief hiatus, I am continuing with my Southern Living blogs.
It is now December, 1957. We are moving from Greenwood to someplace called Moorhead.
Moorhead is a small MS town about 20 miles west of Greenwood on Hwy 82. It at that time had a population of about 1200 on a busy Saturday night. Moorhead's claim to fame is that it is where the Southern crosses the Yellow Dog. A true 90 degree railroad crossing. The Illinois Central ran north and south and the C&G ran east and west. C&G stands for Columbus and Greenville if there are any RR buffs reading.
Moorhead is also the birthplace and childhood home of the late Johnny Russell. (A Grand Ole Opry performer, if ye hadn't heard of him) Course, when I was a kid, Johnny hadn't made it yet, and the old folks always told you "Don't smoke cigarettes, drink and play the geetar, like that Russell boy, you won't ever mount to nothing." After he made it to the Opry, they put up a huge billboard proclaiming Moorhead to be the Home of Johnny Russell!
Anyhow, 1957. Halfway thru the 5th grade. The Wonder Years as they say.
I settled into the second semester of the 5th grade. Made some fine new friends. Kenneth Horne (passed away), Freddie Matthews, Frankie Hickman (also passed) and several more. I also got drafted into playing trombone in the High School as well as the Jr.College Band. Seems they didn't have anybody who could blow a 'bone. They'd send a truck over to the Grammar School every afternoon and pick me up and carry me to band practice! I thought I was a big shit! Course, I was the ONLY trombone player in the band for several years. I enjoyed it and I hated it! I had to go to a High School Foosball game every Friday Nite and a College game every Saturday Nite! Got soon SICK TO DEATH of foosball! Still refuse to watch a game. On the other hand, riding the bus with the cheerleaders to all away games DID HAVE IT'S REWARDS!
I think I will leave it here til next time, getting about time for a little SSTV. Be back soon...

2 comments:

  1. Lizzard, I played trombone in the HS band also. I also picked up the baritone horn. Later on I actually played bass guitar with the marching band when they sat in the stands. We'd haul the amp up and down the stairs.

    I never got tired of it and never hated it and I still like watching football games.

    Oh to be able to live those days over again!

    Grouch at Right Truth

    ReplyDelete
  2. You OBVIOUSLY dint go to enuff foosball games. 2 a week fron 6th thru Jr.College bout wore me thin on foosball. I was a GREAT player in PE, but knew I had a scholarship in band, so I dint get to play high school foosball. Moughts liked it better. I was a big ol boy back then, not that I'm puny now.
    7 turds.....

    ReplyDelete