Monday, August 3, 2009

Southern Living, Pt. 7 1/2, More About Alvin

Before I move along, let me tell you a little more about my uncle, Alvin Storey.
He was a great American. He fought in WW2 and more important, he liked my lil nappy ass.
Alvin, I neber called my uncles by anythin but their first names, was without a doubt, my favorite grown man in the world.
He was talented. He could make ANYTHING out of wood, and taught me some of it, he could make ANY machine work, and was in general, a GREAT GUY!.
My Mama and Daddy and Alvin and Mary , his wife, would play domino's when I was small. That's where I learned to count, playing in the boneyard! If I'd get sumpin wrong, it was Alvin that showed me where I screwed up.
I remember when I was 5, he took me out riding with him one Saturday afternoon. Now Alvin was a beer drinker. He bought hisseff a Pabst Blue Ribbon in a longneck and bought one fer me too! I drank mine all by myseff too! He finally took me home and I went in and pissed on the kitchen wall! My Mama looked at me, looked at Alvin and said "You shitass!". I didn't get to go riding with Alvin for quite a while! Broke me from pissing on the kitchen wall too!
But Alvin did show me a lot about woodworking, he gave me a bandsaw that me and Daddy used a lot while we lived in Louisiana. Now don't even think about getting me wrong. My Daddy was without a doubt, the smartest, greatest, most understanding man who ever lived, but Alvin was a CLOSE SECOND! Alvin also taught me a lot about life along the way that a Daddy couldn't!
Alvin even owned a '57 Edsel for a while and made Me understand why that was one of Ford's best cars ever. Even if it did look like it had been eating persimmons.
He and his wife, Mary never had any children. Mary had an assortment of Chihuahua dogs that were mean as snakes. But I was Alvin's favorite nephew just as he was my favorite uncle. Very few days pass, even today, that I don't remember him fondly for some reason or the other. I always loved him and I always will! I only wish that EVERYBODY had an uncle as great as Alvin Storey!

2 comments:

  1. 1. Why would you wanna piss on the kitchen wall?

    2. Today, Alvin would be arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

    3. The Edsel did not appear until 1958.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say the memory is the SECOND thing to go...

    ReplyDelete