Monday, June 1, 2009

Medical Doctors, Not All, Just Some

I went to a local MD a couple of months ago, because my feet were numb and tingly. I explained my symptoms to her, and in her defense, she did exactly what I would have done in her place. I told her I didn't think I had a sugar problem, of which numb tingling feet, aka neuropathy, is an indication. However, on examination, she said she couldn't feel a pulse in my feet and was going to order an ultrasound on my feet and legs. Good call, since I HAVE had bypasses. She also drew blood to do lab work. Lab work came in fine, no diabetes, no anemia, no gout, good B-12. Everything FINE with my blood. Ultrasound said I had perfect circulation in my legs and feet. She said I probably had neuropathy and reccomended a neuropathist. Then she said since I was taking Niacin for vertigo and good cholesteral, that might be causing it and told me to lay off the Niacin for a while. I didn't much believe this, but it was an easy try.
Three weeks later, feet still tingling, so I made an appointment with a podiatrist. Gitting close to Dayton and I wanted some relief. Told him up front I didn't have sugar. He looked at my feet for a few minutes and decided to send me to a neuropothist (probably spelled wrong)
This WAS A TRIP. They wired me up, jolted me with electricity, stuck needles in my feet and immediately told me I HAD BLOOD SUGAR! Told him about doc number 1 He didn't care! I had sugar, no matter that he hadn't tested my blood or anything else medically!
The podiatrist called me 5 days later and told me I had blood sugar. Told him I did not have sugar, so he wanted to know if I wanted him to make me an appointment with some nerve doc that my insurance doesn't cover. I told him thanks anyway, that I thought I would see a chiropractor, which I did. He hasn't fixed my feet, but at least HE DID LISTEN when I told him my problems. He has gotten the feet feeling a little better, but the saga of the aching feets continues.

5 comments:

  1. BTW, I was pretty sure I didn't have sugar cause my wifey is diabetic and I test my blood every couple weeks.
    I have bought an inversion table, so I hang around like a bat instead of a lizzard cause that do make my back feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure you got blood sugar. I could tell you more but then I'd have to send you a bill for a consult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, but then it would be a 50/50 split. You against Doc "A". I don't give no credence to the last 2 quacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. pretty sure you got blood sugar too...that doesn't mean that it's high! Mine runs about 88.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too many docs spoil the diagnosis.

    Debbie Hamilton
    Right Truth

    ReplyDelete